Help IWHC and our local partners achieve policy wins for women and girls with a one-time gift.
Sept. 28th: International Safe Abortion Day
Join us for a global day of action to support abortion rights!
Donate to Support Access to Safe Abortion
Make a One-Time Gift
Become a Sustaining Donor
Make a monthly or annual gift. This helps IWHC plan for the future and allows you to split gifts over time.
The Human Cost of the Global Gag Rule
The Global Gag Rule is a policy that prevents all foreign organizations receiving US global health aid from providing abortion services, referrals, or information—even if they use non-US funds to do so. This policy will have devastating and widespread effects, from cutting off access to contraceptives, to limiting HIV/AIDS counseling and maternal health care. In this short video, Monica Oguttu from the Kisumu Medical and Education Trust (KMET), a grantee partner of IWHC, explains the human cost of this policy for women and girls in Kenya.
Raise Your Voice on Social Media
On September 28th, we are using our voices to stand up for safe and legal abortion worldwide. You can join us online by tweeting or sharing below!
Learn More About Our Work on Safe and Legal Abortion
In the lead-up to International Safe Abortion Day on September 28, IWHC takes a look at some of the most dangerous places in the world to access an abortion.Read More
GIWYN is IWHC’s newest grantee partner in Nigeria, working to increase awareness and expand access to safe abortion across the country.Read More
The Global Gag Rule will now be applied to all US global health aid, which will have devastating impact.Read More
A new initiative to fill the gap left by Trump’s disastrous Global Gag is welcome and much needed, but it won’t be enough.Read More
Women’s rights—and in particular reproductive rights—often act like a “canary in the coal mine” of human rights. When the overall danger to human rights is not clear to most observers, feminist activists see the first signs of what is to come.Read More
South Carolina Governor Haley is an unfortunate choice to represent the United States at the single-most important multilateral institution prepared to tackle the world’s global challenges.Read More
Tom Price has proven to be anti-science and anti-reproductive health.Read More
More Shareable Graphics
Download and share to show your support!
Actions Around the World
Events and actions by IWHC grantee partners, grouped by region
- In South Africa—which celebrates this year the 20-year anniversary of the “Choice on Termination of Pregnancy Act” —the Sexual and Reproductive Justice Coalition is hosting a series of panel discussions on how to further action for safe abortion. While the country has one of the world’s most progressive abortion laws, it is not fully implemented and stigma around abortion persists.
- The Asia Safe Abortion Partnership will be holding a virtual film festival of short films and videos from their “Let’s Talk Abortion” series.
- ASTRA, the Central and Eastern European Women’s Network for Sexual and Reproductive Rights and Health, will present stories of women who participated in Poland’s successful “Black Monday” protests last year. Public outrage at a bill that would have banned abortion in almost all circumstances forced the government to table it.
- Católicas por el Derecho a Decidir-Argentina (“Catholics for the Right to Decide-Argentina”) and a national pro-choice network it leads are coordinating September 28 activities for Latin America.
- Mujer y Salud en Uruguay (MYSU) will release data on conscientious objection to abortion, a growing trend in Latin America and other parts of the world.
- In Brazil, the organizations Católicas pelo Direito de Decidir-Brazil (“Catholics for the Right to Decide-Brazil”), Grupo Curumim, Anis-Institute of Bioethics, Human Rights and Gender, and other groups will be participating in a virtual chat using the hashtag #PrecisamosFalarSobreAborto (“#WeNeedToTalkAboutAbortion”) on September 27th and then take to the streets on September 28th.