“The experiences I have had, and the people I have met during my four years with IWHC reassure me that I will never be alone, and that I will always have a voice. Now my voice is strengthened by the voices of my colleagues throughout the world, from Brazil to Nigeria to India and Indonesia. An empowered young person can change the world.“
-Marisa Viana, IWHC Program Associate for Latin America & 2010 Gala Speaker
The International Women’s Health Coalition’s (IWHC’s) staff and partners have lots of updates to share with you from our 9th annual gala, held recently in New York. This year, we joined with our friends and partners to celebrate another year of progress towards making a just and healthy life a reality for all women and young people.
Watch above, or click here to watch a video with more highlights from the program and exclusive behind-the-scenes interviews with special guests, including NOW on PBS Senior Correspondent Maria Hinojosa.
We honored two special guests as part of our ongoing celebration of men in the movement:
- Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu spoke passionately on the importance of human rights and public participation, especially among youth. Click here to watch Desmond Tutu’s video address.
- Ted Turner of the United Nations Foundation was honored for his steadfast commitment to global cooperation and human rights, and spoke on his determination not to let the world’s women “get pushed around”.
And for more highlights:
- IWHC continues to update its Flickr photo album regularly. Click here for new photos from the Gala, IWHC staff trips, and more.
- Check out the media coverage of the event on the New York Post‘s Page 6, and on New York Social Diary.
- Become a Fan of our Facebook page to learn about future events.