Maternal death and injuries affect women, families and entire communities. Yet over 500,000 women die due to complications in pregnancy and childbirth each year, and millions more suffer from preventable injuries.
Ashoka and the Maternal Health Task Force are partnering to create an innovative new program that will transform the field of maternal health globally. The Young Champions of Maternal Health Program will identify 16 young leaders – called Young Champions – from around the world that will spend nine months working abroad on a maternal health project while being mentored by a seasoned Ashoka Fellow in the field of maternal health.
Sixteen Young Champions will be chosen to spend nine months working on a maternal health project, each mentored by an established Ashoka Fellow and his or her organization working in the field of maternal health. The Ashoka Fellows and their staff will design projects for the Young Champions that complement and build upon the proposed project of their application. Young Champions will assist and work under the tutelage of the Ashoka Fellow as they apply their new skills to developing their own project. The nine month mentorship will take place in a different country from the Young Champion’s country of residence. All living accommodations, transport, visas, insurance and other incidentals will be covered by the program. A monthly stipend will also be provided in accordance to the prevailing wage rates of the country in which the Young Champion will reside.
1. Successful completion of at least a B.A. (or equivalent degree)
2. A track record of involvement in public health, as indicated by professional and/or academic experiences.
3. A clear commitment to and professional interest in the improvement of maternal health, especially in developing countries.
4. Demonstrated leadership qualities and potential as evidenced by community and organizational activities reflected within the application.
5. Preparedness and enthusiasm to participate in a nine month mentorship experience with an Ashoka Fellow who may live in a country that is of a different cultural context.
The application deadline is March 17, 2010. For more information about the program and application process, please visit www.changemakers.com/maternalhealth. Should you have further questions, please contact [email protected] with “maternal health” included in your subject line.