Your web browser is out of date. Please upgrade it for a better experience viewing this website.

Many women believe men are sometimes justified in hitting their wives

Written By: Audacia Ray
August 18, 2009

gbvgraphic1

Sometimes a picture really is worth a thousand words. Global Health Magazine posted this screenshot today.

The information used in this graphic comes from data assembled on the UNICEF site Child Info: Monitoring the Situation of Women and Children and collected between 2001 and 2007. The percentages above represent women aged 15–49 who responded that a husband or partner is justified in hitting or beating his wife under certain circumstances. See a chart with more country info and sources here.

13 Responses to "Many women believe men are sometimes justified in hitting their wives"
  1. Heya just wanted to give you a brief heads up and let you know a few of the pictures aren’t loading properly. I’m not sure why but I think its a linking issue. I’ve tried it in two different web browsers and both show the same outcome.

2. Liz W says:

It's regrettable that no Western countries are included either in the graphic or the more detailed information at the link. Where are the US, Canada, UK, Republic of Ireland, Australia, Italy and so on? If the statistics were not collected for those countries, it gives me the impression that they only looked at the countries they thought were "backward" in some way. It's even more disturbing when you consider that most of the countries have a majority POC population.

• audaciaray says:

This is such a deep problem with the concept of "development." When I posted a link to this post on my Facebook, someone made exactly that comment about how "they need to be brought into the 21 century" (actual quote) – such a loaded and ugly thing.

• Guest says:

Liz, the data were collected by UNICEF, which only targets "developing" nations.

3. typingperson says:

There is no information on the sample size for each country. How many women did they survey? Why is there not a corresponding survey of asking men this for each country? And yeah, where are the stats on majority-white countries?

4. Beating ANYONE is wrong. I know someone will take offense to that, but no matter what the culture, LIFE IS LIFE and needs to be respected.

Mr. Twenty Twenty

5. Kathleen says:

The bible says men are supposed to "cherish" their wives and not be too hard on their children, "lest they lose heart."

6. Liz W says:

"Guest", I realise the statistics were collected by UNICEF. I think their remit should be widened, or someone else should do a fuller study, because partial studies like this could lend themselves to misuse.

7. We still cannot quite believe It was not respectable come to be the staring at the important points on your blog post. My loved ones we are sincerely thankful with your generosity along with giving me possibility pursue our chosen profession path. Post you information Managed to get through the web-site.